Friday, August 5, 2011

A Sith Fifth

When a good friend and neighbor asks you to make a cake for their turning-five year old, it's just a no-brainer. when that 5 year old is one of your child's best friends, there is no doubt that the cake has to be GOOD.

However, when that very same cake happens to have a star wars theme, a topic that is literally eaten and breathed in your house... such that you are forced to act in character most days before your feet even hit the floor in the morning... well.. you'd best believe the cake better go big or go home. like to a different galaxy, if it doesn't measure up to the critical judgement of your own house of padawans.

I was ready, though. I had successfully created a Star Wars themed cake for another boy, and like I said.. every day in this house is like my very own Jedi-training camp. Of course, I did retain some hesitation, because I had also signed up to create a tank cake for the very same day... but I was up for the challenge.

My target client was a 5 year old boy, and he wanted something to focus on Darth Vader, and the 'Blue Storm Trooper.' No-- not the blue CLONE Trooper we all love and adore as Captain Rex... he wanted a blue STORM Trooper. (Totally different helmet, dude!) I was gonna work the Sith for this Fifth.

The mom gave me free reign to do what I do, but requested that there be 2 dozen cupcakes to serve to party-goers, as well as a small centerpiece cake for candle blowing etc. Vanilla cupcakes, vanilla buttercream, and the cake was to be chocolate with cookies and cream filling. Easy peasy.

After creating my own Darth Vader and Storm Trooper cookie cutters, it was simple to create my 2 dozen fondant cupcake toppers.










I created a larger, 2.5-D replica of Darth's helmet to use on top of the cake. (yes, I did write 2.5-D... it wasn't totally three dimensional, but it was more than the flat fondant toppers. you can thank me later for introducing you to 2.5-D) From that point, it all just kind of came together. (with a little use of the force, that is!)





The end result was a 3-tiered, 8-inch round cake, covered in black fondant. a little light-saber red fondant trim here and there, some painstakingly tedious hand-cut lettering and 5 more blue storm trooper guys (get it.. FIVE stormtroopers? cause he was turning FIVE?) oh, and a fondant cape and a light-stick for a light saber... and you get the following.








My live-in advisory board gave me high-fives and deemed the cake to be "AWESOME"... so with confidence I brought everything to the party for set up.






Once all the cupcakes were in place on their towers flanking the cake, I MIGHT have started humming the Imperial March... but I won't admit to anything else like breathing like Darth himself. Cause you know... THAT would be weird.






In the end, Jacob seemed to like the cake, and his crew of pals also got a kick taking a bite out of the Dark Side.






Happy birthday, Jacob!!! May the force be with you always!!

No comments:

Post a Comment