Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Feeding an Army

This past weekend, I got the chance to challenge myself in a whole new way. I was tasked with sculpting a TANK CAKE to serve about 40 people.

(insert nervous laugh here)

Now most of you know I went to an aeronautical university. Now, I may know my way around a plane (or at least I USED to... not sure what all I actually remember from those engineering days gone by!) but a TANK? I was nervous I may have bitten off more than I could chew.

Luckily, after a little research, I found that the shape of a tank wasn't TOO extreme, and I psyched myself up into believing I could do it. Of course... knowing I had a star wars project to work on, which is TOTALLY in my comfort zone.. eased my worried mind.

The target client was a 5 year old boy, and the cake of choice was chocolate, with a cookies and cream filling.




The cake itself had a rectangular base of 11x15 inches. with two layers approximately 2 inches high each, the filling, and the rice crispy/fondant covered shaped turret on top.... well... you can imagine the tank was a beast.


By far, this cake was the largest I've made to date, as well as the heaviest. I used approximately 6 pounds of fondant, and probably pulled a muscle trying to color it. It was certainly a good workout!


This was also the first time I used color-mist, to give the camo-effect. I like the final effects, but will concede that it's not for every cake. also? next time I need to wear a mask or lay down a tarp... that green mist got EVERYWHERE.









All in all, I think the cake turned out great. I credit The Cake Store with being my inspiration... there were a lot of tanks out there, but I loved their design; especially how there was chocolate 'mud' under the cake. Happy 5th birthday, Marco!


No comments:

Post a Comment